10 May The Power of Prenatal and Postnatal Massage
Motherhood is undeniably a life-altering event. Bringing new life into the world is no easy task and it’s a fact that a mother’s body can feel like its been put through the wringer. Carrying extra weight during pregnancy, the experience of childbirth, learning to nurse, many sleepless nights and so much more. Being a mom is not for the faint of heart!
Massage therapy is a great way for moms and moms-to-be to care for their overall wellness in a natural yet effective way.
Once given the green light by your doctor or care provider, consider booking a treatment with a Massago RMT. Their experience, knowledge and training can help you through those exhausting, uncomfortable and stressful times pre and post delivery.
Here’s what you should know about prenatal and postnatal massage to help make your maternal journey an enjoyable success:
Benefits of Prenatal Massage
- Relieves back, leg, pelvic and joint pain from carrying extra pregnancy weight and other physical changes occurring in the body. Massage also treats sciatic nerve pain which effects many pregnant women.
- Reduces swelling in the limbs by improving circulation and stimulating blood flow to these troublesome areas.
- Promotes better sleep by minimizing stress and discomfort. A relaxed mom-to-be can enjoy more quality rest in preparation of baby’s arrival.
- Provides relaxation and reduces anxiety which is important for both mother and her growing baby.
Benefits of Postnatal Massage
- Facilitates healing while the body recovers from pregnancy and childbirth by relaxing the muscles, improving circulation and eliminating excess fluid and waste.
- Helps breastfeeding moms who experience neck, arm and shoulder pain. Massage has also been shown to increase milk production by stimulating the prolactin hormone.
- Improves posture that may have been compromised while compensating for a growing belly, changes in alignment and learning to breastfeed.
- Promotes emotional wellness after the overwhelming experience of childbirth and the pressure of being a new mom.
The little ones in our lives are always affected by how we feel: physically, mentally and emotionally. Let’s set good examples by loving ourselves and prioritizing self-care. After all, it’s difficult to take care of others if we aren’t taking care of ourselves.
As a bonus, Massago therapists come to you. When you’re completely exhausted or pressed for time between feedings or baby’s naps, having a relaxing massage can easily go from an unrealistic item on your wish list, to a life-saving reality!